Lutheran Quilt – Southeastern Synod

I was approached by my neighbor with a commission idea for making a quilt for a retiring bishop in the Lutheran Southeastern Synod (this includes the area of Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, and Mississippi.  Each congregation was asked to send in 1/2 a yard of quilting fabric.  I decided to make the states look like a crazy quilt with each of the fabrics represented on the state somewhere. I’m in love with how it turned out!

Here’s the original image.

img_4378

We also picked out his favorite verse, and I quilted it into the large open white area.

img_4580img_4579

The real doozy was that globe shape in the middle.  I was surprised that it took me way longer to do than expected.

img_4573

Since some of the fabrics were more prominent than others on the state shapes, I went in and made sure each fabric was represented well on the back.

img_4583img_4581img_4582

Overall, I’m very pleased with how it turned out.  I think the good bishop is, too.

img_4578img_4577img_4724

Northern Lights Bargello Quilt

This bargello quilt was made for an artist friend who is expecting a little girl at the end of the summer.  We’re all super excited for her, and I couldn’t wait to begin working on this.

IMG_0658
Rainbow Bargello Quilt

The pattern is based off of the same bargello pattern I used earlier.  I joked that changing the colors out might result in a northern lights effect.  When I found out my friend was going for a stream-lined, Swedish decor for the nursery, I thought it might be a good time to try it.  Not only that, but she likes to do encaustic paintings!

img_4549

I found a jelly roll at JoAnn’s that had various blues with a touch of light green.  Some of the fabrics in it had a shimmer, so I thought it was perfect. I ended up needing three of them to complete this quilt.

img_4550

I sewed the stripes together like the pattern said, and then I pinned them up.  The only thing I changed for this quilt is that I went up and down a 1/2″ between stripes instead of a 1/4″.  I knew I needed the curves to be clear and more drastic than the ones I’d had in the rainbow version.

bargello strips

Here’s the finished top.

bargello top

And here’s the video of my friend opening up the finished product. The back is gray with a slight gold shimmer.  The nursery, as far as I understand, will have some gold accents, so I wanted to tie it in as best I could.

 

 

%d bloggers like this: