My main job is teaching, not quilting, and I love when I can bring my quilting ability into my classroom. I teach British literature, and often my students get lost in the 2,000 or so years of timeline. Years ago I made a bunch of demotivational posters about the British monarchy to help my students know “where we are in time”. Those little posters have sparked many conversations, and they are definitely one of my best teaching tools.
However…there are 60 of them, and putting them up and down from my classroom walls repeatedly as I’ve changed rooms/schools has taken a toll. A while back I’d considered making a wall hanging instead of putting up the individual posters. I knew it would be an undertaking, though. When I found out I was moving from my trailer classroom (where there wasn’t enough room for them) to an indoor classroom, I decided it was finally time to undertake this project I’d been sitting on for several years.
I printed the posters onto fabric, and then I color-coded the historical periods/families.
Red: Stuart (Bright red embedded for Interregnum)
Purple: Saxe Coburg Gotha
Light Purple: Windsor
The last two are both purple because it’s the same family branch…just a name rebrand thanks to WWI.
I used fabric I already had on hand, some pretty green, yellow, and black shirting flannel. Between the front and the flannel backing and the huge size, the wall hanging was getting heavy, so I decided to leave out the usual batting and quilting.
In the end, I’m loving how it turned out! I can’t wait for my co-workers and students to see it.