Flower Fairy Quilt

For as long as I can remember, I have loved the late Victorian style fairy illustrations, especially those of Cicely Mary Barker. They were enchanting in their simplicity and dreamy color pallets. This would explain why I couldn’t help myself when I came across a fabric panel featuring three pink flower fairies. I normally don’t use fabric panels in my works, but this was so pretty that I couldn’t resist. I bought this fabric months ago and am only now getting around to using it. I also found some purple fabric that also featured a smaller flower fairy design, but they were more of a nighttime look.

IMG_5862

Originally, I was going to incorporate the purple fabric as a border around the pink panel, but I decided that it just wasn’t complimentary to either fabric. They were both so pretty that they needed their own space. After some quick measuring, I realized I had enough to make the purple fabric the backing to the pink panel.

For the pink panel, I added some greens to accentuate the leaves and then one last pink border to tie it all together.  I wasn’t expecting the corners to be as awesome and picture frame looking as they were, but I’m delighted and might use that design again in other quilts.

IMG_5861

Northern Lights Bargello Quilt

This bargello quilt was made for an artist friend who is expecting a little girl at the end of the summer.  We’re all super excited for her, and I couldn’t wait to begin working on this.

IMG_0658
Rainbow Bargello Quilt

The pattern is based off of the same bargello pattern I used earlier.  I joked that changing the colors out might result in a northern lights effect.  When I found out my friend was going for a stream-lined, Swedish decor for the nursery, I thought it might be a good time to try it.  Not only that, but she likes to do encaustic paintings!

img_4549

I found a jelly roll at JoAnn’s that had various blues with a touch of light green.  Some of the fabrics in it had a shimmer, so I thought it was perfect. I ended up needing three of them to complete this quilt.

img_4550

I sewed the stripes together like the pattern said, and then I pinned them up.  The only thing I changed for this quilt is that I went up and down a 1/2″ between stripes instead of a 1/4″.  I knew I needed the curves to be clear and more drastic than the ones I’d had in the rainbow version.

bargello strips

Here’s the finished top.

bargello top

And here’s the video of my friend opening up the finished product. The back is gray with a slight gold shimmer.  The nursery, as far as I understand, will have some gold accents, so I wanted to tie it in as best I could.