For as long as I can remember, I have loved the late Victorian style fairy illustrations, especially those of Cicely Mary Barker. They were enchanting in their simplicity and dreamy color pallets. This would explain why I couldn’t help myself when I came across a fabric panel featuring three pink flower fairies. I normally don’t use fabric panels in my works, but this was so pretty that I couldn’t resist. I bought this fabric months ago and am only now getting around to using it. I also found some purple fabric that also featured a smaller flower fairy design, but they were more of a nighttime look.
Originally, I was going to incorporate the purple fabric as a border around the pink panel, but I decided that it just wasn’t complimentary to either fabric. They were both so pretty that they needed their own space. After some quick measuring, I realized I had enough to make the purple fabric the backing to the pink panel.
For the pink panel, I added some greens to accentuate the leaves and then one last pink border to tie it all together. I wasn’t expecting the corners to be as awesome and picture frame looking as they were, but I’m delighted and might use that design again in other quilts.
This bargello quilt was made for an artist friend who is expecting a little girl at the end of the summer. We’re all super excited for her, and I couldn’t wait to begin working on this.
The pattern is based off of the same bargello pattern I used earlier. I joked that changing the colors out might result in a northern lights effect. When I found out my friend was going for a stream-lined, Swedish decor for the nursery, I thought it might be a good time to try it. Not only that, but she likes to do encaustic paintings!
I found a jelly roll at JoAnn’s that had various blues with a touch of light green. Some of the fabrics in it had a shimmer, so I thought it was perfect. I ended up needing three of them to complete this quilt.
I sewed the stripes together like the pattern said, and then I pinned them up. The only thing I changed for this quilt is that I went up and down a 1/2″ between stripes instead of a 1/4″. I knew I needed the curves to be clear and more drastic than the ones I’d had in the rainbow version.
Here’s the finished top.
And here’s the video of my friend opening up the finished product. The back is gray with a slight gold shimmer. The nursery, as far as I understand, will have some gold accents, so I wanted to tie it in as best I could.
One thing about making t-shirt quilts and memory quilts is that I don’t often get the see the reaction of the actual recipient. I get to see how much the person who commissioned it likes it, but the actual recipient is rare.
So when a customer shares a picture with me of their quilt being loved by the recipient, I cherish it. I’ve gone through and collected some of my favorite pictures from over the years of people loving on their quilts that I made. It’s a good smile for a Friday.
This quilt was for a friend as a surprise at her baby shower. I knew we wanted to tie in to her overall theme of woodland creatures, and I did several searches for different images. In the end, I went with the images on her actual shower invitation. (She loves sloths, so we snuck in one of those as well!)
I traced the images onto basic copy paper and then retraced them backwards onto fusible interfacing.
From there, the layering process began. I had to trace each layer backwards onto the fusible interfacing as well and then iron them on top of one another. I’ll admit there were several times here where I thought of different ways to simplify, but in the end it just wouldn’t do. The fox was simplified accidentally, but that was about it.
From there, I ironed them into place and used a large mushroom top to hide their bottoms behind because the original images were cropped as well. It look some rearranging before I finally hit this layout.
Going back and adding in the white “light spots” on the eyes was one of the best moves I did. Before that, they looked cute but kind of flat. They had a deadpan look that kept them lifeless. The sloth, especially, looked somewhat stoned.
And one again, I added a close-set zigzag stitch to finish off the applique elements.
The reason everything was right at the bottom was because we intended for people to be able to sign the quilt with well-wishes for the new family.
What a fun baby quilt this was to make!
Here’s a video of the sweet soon-to-be parents receiving their surprise!
My sister is very good at getting me out of my comfort zone when it comes to quilt designs. She’s not a quilter herself, but she has a great eye for detail and can think up some really fun ideas. So when she asked me to make a baby quilt for a friend that was Flash-themed, I knew it was going to be fun.
I looked around online and found a few ideas. Some of them were gorgeous, but I didn’t have the time to devote to them. And then I found this minimalist poster from Andres Romero. He’s done a bunch of them, and the simplicity was promising.
We decided that this image was perfect, and we would add in some type of full-bodied image at the bottom, maybe with the running motion.
The actual face was easy because I just appliqued the shapes on.
After that, I did the same for the running figure. We played around with the idea of having gray gradient figures spaced out behind him, but time constraints prevented that. So I decided that I would use a quilting design echoing behind him to get the same effect. I like how it turned out.
Flash quilt detail
I quilted over the whole thing with an homage to the lightening shown behind Flash in comics while he’s running. It does look a bit like a heartbeat, though. Oh well.
My sister picked out a Super Friends themed fabric for the backing.
With so many angles, I decided to soften it a bit by curving the edges. I like the overall effect!