Newest item – bibs and burp cloths

A friend of mine is expecting, and I was going to buy her a bib set as a small gift.  But as I looked through the shelves over at the baby store, I just didn’t see anything that really struck me. So I finally told her I’d just go home and make one for her. I wanted to make her the kind of bib I would have loved when my kids were babies – a terry cloth back. I bought a gray towel from the store and headed home.  From that towel, I was able to make 2 burp clothes and 4 bibs using a gray woodland themed fabric.  I loved it, actually, so I decided that this could be another way to use some of those awkward-sized pieces of fabric. So I bought some terry cloth from JoAnn’s, but most of it came from cut up towels I’d bought.

I really got in to making them and worked on the bulk of them while watching Stranger Things 3 with my husband.  I even put him to work turning them right-side out.

I’m happy with how they all turned out.  I decided to stick to cutting up cheap towels because the terry cloth on the back had more plush than the terry cloth off the bolt at JoAnn’s.

Northern Lights Bargello Quilt

This bargello quilt was made for an artist friend who is expecting a little girl at the end of the summer.  We’re all super excited for her, and I couldn’t wait to begin working on this.

IMG_0658
Rainbow Bargello Quilt

The pattern is based off of the same bargello pattern I used earlier.  I joked that changing the colors out might result in a northern lights effect.  When I found out my friend was going for a stream-lined, Swedish decor for the nursery, I thought it might be a good time to try it.  Not only that, but she likes to do encaustic paintings!

img_4549

I found a jelly roll at JoAnn’s that had various blues with a touch of light green.  Some of the fabrics in it had a shimmer, so I thought it was perfect. I ended up needing three of them to complete this quilt.

img_4550

I sewed the stripes together like the pattern said, and then I pinned them up.  The only thing I changed for this quilt is that I went up and down a 1/2″ between stripes instead of a 1/4″.  I knew I needed the curves to be clear and more drastic than the ones I’d had in the rainbow version.

bargello strips

Here’s the finished top.

bargello top

And here’s the video of my friend opening up the finished product. The back is gray with a slight gold shimmer.  The nursery, as far as I understand, will have some gold accents, so I wanted to tie it in as best I could.