I have made a lot of bib and burp cloth sets over the Thanksgiving Break in anticipation for my last show. I figured I’d post some pictures below. Prices listed in the picture caption. Please add $4 for shipping. If you’re interested in one, email me about it at the new email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Before this set, I have made four other guitar quilts and one viola quilt in the same style. I bought the music fabric at a Black Friday sale (okay, it was really a Black Saturday sale) at JoAnn’s and had been sitting on it for almost a year. I hadn’t quite figured out what I wanted to do, but the idea of another guitar quilt set had definitely come to mind. When I found a jelly roll at JoAnn’s that featured an earthy rainbow pallet, I knew what I would do!
What I love most about the guitar quilts is the fact that if you cut out the guitar carefully then you’ll automatically have two quilts! If you notice, one of this set is the negative of the other. I love it.
I’ll admit that the guitar pegs at the top of this one are a little more “homemade” than I’d like, but I know how I plan on fixing that for next time.
For these, I used wool batting instead of cotton to give them a puffier look and keep the weight to a minimum since they’re going on a wall. I’m so used to cotton batting that these feel like they weight nothing at all.
In the past, I’ve done a much more detailed quilting design, but since the music fabric already had texture to it, I didn’t want to distract from it. So I ended up keeping the quilting simple.
These are both for sale, and I’m hoping one of them will sell at the December show I’m doing on the 6th.
When I found out our beloved organist and music director was retiring, I immediately tried to figure out how to honor him with a quilt. I did some searching around and landed on this jewel from the Soar Above blog. It was perfect! I simplified it in some ways and lightened up the fabric because I wanted members to be able to write messages to him. This also meant mostly quilting in the ditch.
I have a BA in music, so the details on this were very important to me. I went that mile and made sure the keyboard was accurate in regards to the key placement. I also got our lead choir member to help, and together we took pictures of his organ setup, including his actual hymnals, his clock, glasses, duster, and his shoes. I printed those pictures out on fabric and appliqued them onto the organ setup.
On his last Sunday, I presented it to him in front of the church, and his reaction is one that I’m mighty proud to have on film.
I used more blue on the back (in case it was needed for more messages) as well as basic music fabric. It was hard to find music fabric that wasn’t cutesy, but I did! I like the contrast of the differing wood panels.