Darth Vader quilt

Christmas is here, and I can finally make a post about one quilt in particular.  I couldn’t make a peep about it anywhere on any of my social media outlets because the friend it was for was privy to all of them.

While visiting over the summer, a friend joked after seeing my other Star Wars silhouette quilts that I should make one with Darth Vader in the corridor – the scene in both Rogue One at the end and in Star Wars: A New Hope at the beginning.  A little while later, his sweet bride sent me a picture, asking about getting it made into a twin-sized quilt in the style I’d done with the others.

The original image
The original image

Well I LOVED the idea of all that red fabric, and I liked how it turned out as a background pattern for sure.  The silhouette was very simple, especially compared to the Rey and Kylo Ren quilt I’ve done a couple of times before.  I stuck with my usual style of using crepe back satin for the light saber.  I’ll forever love that fabric.

img_4018

The biggest surprise with this quilt was it was my first time using wool batting.  I’d heard of it before, but that was about it.  And let’s face it – I live in Georgia.  We don’t need wool blankets except for on a handful of days at best.  I was surprised at how light it was.  In fact, I halfway wondered if it wasn’t actually polyester.  I did some research and tried out the “burn test” on a small patch.  Sure enough, it burned and singed instead of melted, so it was the real deal.

img_4019

I made the quilt and then got really scared at the idea of washing this thing.  I have sinned against wool in the past, and I was nervous about repeating that mistake.  I finally decided I would rather wash it and take my chances with me first before sending it off to my friends.  So I washed it on the coldest, shortest, gentlest cycle my washing machine had to offer, and then I hung it out on my back deck to dry.  I’m proud to say that there were no casualties in the making of this quilt – cotton, wool, or otherwise.

img_4021

Related Posts:

Star Wars Quilt

Rey and BB8 Wall Quilt

Luke’s Last Sunset Wall Quilt

 

Rey and BB8 Wall Quilt

This is the wall quilt I was working on in tandem with the Luke’s Last Sunset quilts.  Both are from the same roll of fabric.

This one was pretty straight-forward as far as technique goes.  I didn’t end up using any gold thread or satin like I have in previous ones.

I did change out the thread as the colors changed, though.  So that was fun.

img_3086img_3087img_3088

Related posts and blogs:

What’s Next for Rey?

Han Solo, Rey, and the Importance of Nobody

Read These 50 Star Wars Puns, You Must

Made by Runi BB8 Dress

Disney Princess Silhouette Quilt

This quilt was made as a surprise for a friend expecting her first child, a daughter.  This friend is a dedicated Disney aficionado, and I knew right away I wanted to do something related to Disney.  But focusing on one princess seemed…inaccurate.  This friend loved all things Disney, so I decided to go for several at once.  I sent her a message asking who were her favorite Disney princesses, and she replied back with several.  To her credit, she had to have known I was up to something but didn’t ask any more questions despite my strange messages to her.

I’d seen on Pinterest a quilt with a little boy silhouette holding balloons, and I remembered the balloons being a big part of that Disney World experience.  I decided to go that route.  I purchased several pink fat quarters and made the balloon shapes.  That step was easy enough.  The girl and princess silhouettes took some more thought.

I looked around at a LOT of little girl silhouettes before settling in on this one.  In the end, I picked this one because you could see the cute, wispy pig tails, and it made me think of some spunky girls I’ve known, but you could also tell she was wearing a pretty fluffy and fancy dress.  I liked the balance in there and felt that any daughter my friend had would have a similar dynamic.

The princess profiles were easy to find, but they didn’t want to translate to fabric all that well.  To be honest, there were a couple of points where I thought the girl was just going to have to hold regular balloons sans princess.  It was the lips and chin that didn’t want to work with the fabric and sewing machine, and in the end I took another friend’s advice and simply smoothed out the lips and chin, letting the hair, brow, and nose do most of the defining.  For the most part it worked.  If you look closely, you can see another princess added in for Daddy – Disney’s newest acquired princess – Leia Organa.

Funny enough, one part I was having to focus pretty hard on was the strings.  I couldn’t, of course, have real strings hanging loose.  That wouldn’t be very durable, and this quilt was for a baby, making them a safety hazard.  So I decided to use an extra wide stitch and keep it simple.  I wanted to make sure the strings looked natural and relaxed like they can with actual balloons.  I was relieved when they turned out well.

This quilt was a first for me in another technique as well.  I used a pink bobbin and black top thread while quilting the silhouette.  The backing was such a pretty pink that anything distracting from it would have been a shame, but the black silhouette also needed to stay clean, so I held my breath and gave it a go.  I was so thrilled when I realized I didn’t have to chose between ruining my top or backing!

After all that I quilted it together with a small stipple pattern.  I’m happy to report that the quilt gets regular use!

photo 2
I put the silhouettes of mommy’s favorite princesses on there and included Princess Leia for daddy.

 

Related posts and blogs:

My definitive ranking of [almost] every Disney Princess

Princess Quilt

Disney Nerds